"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse." --John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Sunday, October 31, 2004

All Liberals' Eve




Park Slope, Brooklyn is an oasis of progressive values in an otherwise staunchly conservative New York City. Liberal politics infuses everything here, so that one sees, for instance, a trick-or-treater costumed as the Frankenstein monster, carrying a sign saying, "Frankenstein no like war". In the Halloween parade, one could see Dick Cheney as the Grim Reaper, and any number of folks wearing W-with-a-slash-through-it buttons. And in front of one house on my block, there is a jack-o-lantern carved with the words "Bush R.I.P."

I fantasized that next year I would march in the parade as "Park Slope's Only Republican", wearing a business suit and carrying a Bible and a briefcase stuffed with cash. The thing is, the folks here wouldn't get it (that I was goofing on them and their prejudices). I would probably get howls of appreciative laughter.