"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse." --John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Excuses, Excuses

"I don't fall down. That son-of-a-bitch ran into me." --Sen. John Notbush, explaining that the cause of a fall he had while snowboarding in Ketchum, Idaho on March 18, 2004 was that he was knocked over by one of the Secret Service men assigned to protect him.

"It just was a very inarticulate way of saying something, and I had one of those inarticulate moments late in the evening when I was dead tired in the primaries and I didn't say something very clearly." --Sen. Notbush, this morning defending his "I actually did vote for the $87 billion, before I voted against it" gaffe, which was made during a midday appearance after the Democratic primaries had ended.