"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse." --John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Zeyad In Despair

From time to time I read Healing Iraq, the website of an Iraqi blogger/dentist named Zeyad. In the past, he would frequently describe the activities of a troublemaker, a "cleric" for whom his contempt was boundless. This was Muqtada Al-Sadr, to whom he gave the nickname "Muqty". So it was no surprise to me when Muqty finally made his move and unleashed his militia on coalition forces.

The recent violence has understandably caused Zeyad much despair, as may be seen in his post of April 5th:
I have to admit that until now I have never longed for the days of Saddam, but now I'm not so sure. If we need a person like Saddam to keep those rabid dogs at bay then [so] be it. Put Saddam back in power and after he fills a couple hundred more mass graves with those criminals they can start wailing and crying again for liberation. What a laugh we will have then. Then they can shove their filthy Hawza and marji'iya up somewhere else. I am so dissapointed in Iraqis and I hate myself for thinking this way. We are not worth your trouble, take back your billions of dollars and give us Saddam again. We truly 'deserve' leaders like Saddam.