"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse." --John Stuart Mill (1806 - 1873)

Sunday, March 14, 2004

The Elephant in the Room

And while I'm discussing what it is that the terrorists want us to think and do, I'll just mention something that you don't hear in the mainstream press or in polite society. There are many reasons to re-elect the president, but if you believe as I do--that terrorism is the most significant issue facing the world today--then perhaps the most important reason to vote for Bush is that the terrorists would greatly prefer Kerry. Given that Muslims in the Middle East don't seem to understand the nature of democratic politics (recall that Saddam saw the defeat of George H.W. Bush as some sort of victory or vindication), simply the changing of horses in midstream would be seen as a sign of weakness and a lack of resolve. Beyond that fact, however, the Islamists would be simply thrilled for the U.S. to elect a president that does not view the war on terror as a war but rather as an intelligence-gathering and law-enforcement operation.

Needless to say, no one in the mainstream press points out this fact. But if they did, it probably wouldn't hurt Kerry among Democrats. After all, recent polls show that Republicans rank terrorism as the most important issue, by a wide majority, while Democrats rank terrorism at the bottom of the list.

Every day, as I ride the subway and walk through Grand Central Terminal, I half expect to hear a deafening explosion and feel a concussion like the one I felt on 9/11 when the second plane hit the south tower. If only I were a Democrat, I could return to my pre-9/11 slumber...